Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Politics - Draft - How the left academics fall into the trap of causality

Sam:
Stoler is talking about colonial-like policies of the State of Israel in the Occupied Territories not the State of Israel.

Stoler is one of the greatest scholars in North America. She... and her husband are NYC Jews and she has collaborated many times with TAU.

__

of course you can voice disapproval once you are knowledgeable on the subject and preferably have visited the place. i am not sure it's very easy or safe to visit Congo, but Israel's doors are wide open.

there are a lot of scientists that st...ray away and start pulling for the underdog, just like the rest of the world. Yulia and you have a similar opinion. I wouldn't call the territories occupied, but disputed. And there is no way I would compare colonialism and Israel's policies in the territories . anyway ill read later and comment


The boycotting people are also hypocritical. They use Israeli-made or invented products every day because they are not easy to boycott. If they need an urgent medical treatment, they will even come to Israel to get it if... it were the best place. They boycott Universities because it's easy. They found something painless to boycott. This is all done for show. In general, the idea is if you stop buying specific products thereby reducing the demand, the seller will become weaker and the competitors will take over. So Israel will suffer economically. Would that make Israel treat the Palestinians better and achieve the two-state solution? I doubt it, and probably the opposite will happen. Israel won't be able to donate as much money as it does now. [They are all forgetting the positive images of Israeli surgeons donating their time to operate on Palestinian children and so on. Who else does that for an enemy?]

P.S. I boycott any cosmetic companies that do animal testing, which is actually a lot, so you have to be careful. Dove & Pantene are on the list, Arm & Hammer and a bunch of products I used to use daily. I don't listen to artists that wear fur and I would not be friends with anyone if they did (consider that a warning :)). Part of the reason I do it is because it makes me feel better that I don't contribute to the bad cause. Maybe my refusal to buy these products won't save that many animals, but at least I won't participate. So that's probably how these people feel, and that's why I can sort of relate to that. If they think Israel is an evil machine, they won't buy products from here. Just like I won't buy products from Iran if I can help it.


No comments: