Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Achievement - Draft - A new model of self-development based on the past path of development

yesterday we went to get gas at the gas station, and there was a football game neaby, so we were stuck in traffic and had to occupy time (my partner and i), so i made up this "luck matrix" to see how much luckier we were in comparison to other people

Matrix - factors (or absence of thereof), which could "screw up the child" (cause them to become unsuccessful, alcoholic, drug addict, pregnant at 14, etc).

Priority 1 - Love and attention of parents - Multiple of 3
Priority 2 - Parents emotional state (includes addictions & compatibility with each other, whether got divorced, etc) - Multiple of 2.5
Priority 3 - IQ of the parents - Multiple of 2
Priority 4 - Economic parameters - Multiple of 1.5
Priority 5 - Health & appearance of the child - Multiple of 1

Each is rated from 1 to 10.

So mine would be:

1. 9*(3) = 27
2. 5*(2.5)=7.5
3. 9*(2)=18
4. 7*(1.5)=10.5
5. 9*1=9

Sum = 72

Total possible: 30+25+20+15+10=100

So I guess I was in the 72th percentile or was luckier than 72% of other kids. I have the necessary parameters for success.

Any parameters that could prevent me from success in ALL domains could lie in the screwed up categories.

In none of the categories I got less than 5. But I need to work on categories 2 and 4.

For a long time I was wasting too much money because I didn't have all the money i wanted growing up. I have developed ways to save money now and spend much less. A lot of work need sot be done still.

In category 4, for some time I struggled with the notion that there could be a person for me for a lifetime (parents got a lot of divorces). So I had a problem ending relationships that i saw as non-working. because i figured, it's not all THAT bad and I could stay there for a few more months. once i realized how much a waste that was, i changed my approach.

I am struggling with various addictions, internet, food, procrastination, etc., most likely genetic. Trying to let go. Most likely stems from stuff running in the family.

Anyone I think such a simple analysis could make a person much humbler about what they have and make them aware of causes of their misfortunes and make it easier work on them.
Score of 72 - you are right, this doesn't exactly mean that I am luckier than 72% of others. I remember Maslow, but not from economics, but from psychology. It's a bit different, but overall addresses the same topic, so I definitely should revisit this. What I remember is that the lower pyramid level addresses basic needs, so a hungry and naked person will not be discussing philosophy with you. There was a LOT of criticism of this model, by the way. Basically, most scientists said that he took the hierarchy "out of his ass," meaning there was little evidence for such :) We need an empirical research to substantiate this theory.

As far as why I ranked health and appearance of the child last. A lot of time children who are sick, but who survive, learn to be strong and are generally more humble and mature than others. I don't view sickness as an advantage, but it is not necessarily a great disadvantage, such as, for instance, alcoholism of parents. As far as appearance, yes, good looking people have an advantage in life and usually have more self confidence, but not the best looking people probably have other quality to adapt to the lack of good looks. It may take them longer to embrace their abilities, as they are not popular, but this doesn't have such a drastic influence on their development in my opinion.

Now, I should probably give to each of my parameters non-linear coefficients. Because extremely good looking people may also suffer, just likely extremely bad looking people. Those in the middle are probably better of than anyone else.
This is true, probably, for most of my domains. Extreme love and warmth may lead to the person's lack of ability to adapt to the outside world, outside of their family.

So my ranking is according to the strength of influence on someone's development. I work negative to positive (estimating the influence of lack of each factor on the person's development. I have found this approach relatively easier to apply, in most situations). So in my opinion, lack of love and warmth early in love may screw the person much more than any other parameters. They may become evil; they may be prone to instant gratification (drug use), they may fail in relationships as they don't love themselves or feel unworthy of love. And so on.

No comments: